Over the holiday season I completed the redesign and updating of the resources section of my website. This now consists of six sections: a series of introductions to basic aspects of African textile production and use; pages exploring various important African textile traditions; a basic African textiles reading list; web resources and links; this blog with news of African textile related events etc.; and finally our archive of sold cloths. The front page of the resource section is here. This post and the following two give a taste of what is there. Below is my list of suggested introductory reading from the site ….
Sub-Saharan African Textiles: A basic reading list
There are other books that are easier to find but these are the most useful and reliable.
- Bernhard Gardi ed. - Woven Beauty: the Art of West African Textiles (Christoph Merian Verlag, 2009)
- Colleen E. Kriger - Cloth in West African History (Alta Mira, 2006)
- Chapurukha m. Kusimba et. al. eds. - Unwrapping the Textile Traditions of Madagascar (Fowler Museum, 2004)
- Venice Lamb - West African Weaving (Duckworth, 1975)
- Venice Lamb & Judy Holmes - Nigerian Weaving (Shell, 1980)
- Vanessa Drake Moraga - Weaving Abstraction: Kuba Textiles and the Woven Art of Central Africa (The Textile Museum, 2011)
- John Picton et. al. - History, Design and Craft in West African Strip Woven Cloth (Smithsonian, 1988)
- John Picton & John Mack - African Textiles (British Museum Press, 1989, 2nd Edition)
- Karl-Ferdinand Schaedler - Weaving in Africa South of the Sahara (Panterra Verlag, 1987)